Good news yesterday when I got home from work, a card from Parcel force saying that there was something waiting for me at my local post office. A quick visit this morning confirmed that my replacement Scarp1 flysheet had arrived. I had escaped the customs and Parcel force handling charge this time round.
A cursory glance before setting off for work and the stitching appears to be ok on this one, although a pitch in the garden or on a hill is the only real way to confirm this. But of course there had to be something that made me unhappy. When emailing Henry from Tarptent I had requested that he seal the seams for me, I thought that this was only fair considering the hassle of receiving a faulty fly. To this I received this reply: I shipped you a new (correct) one yesterday. I seam-sealed it for you so it’s ready for use. Now, either my eyes are completely failing me or Tarptent use some sort of new invisible sealant that is also unidentifiable by touch. From what I can see not one single seam has been sealed, not even a tinsy winsy little bit. Obviously not that happy about that, I will email Henry to see what has been done.
Anyway another little Tarptent rant over, it’s a real shame as there were other products of theirs that had been interesting me. Fingers crossed all will be all ok when I pitch it in the garden later this week. I suppose I will need to get an order in for some sealant and hope for a sunny day.
I received an email from Henry at Tarptent today saying that he did seal the seams for me and said that it is very very feint, just enough to seal the threads. I still can’t see it but will take his word for it, a spot of rain will be the best way of checking that out! Fingers crossed I will have it pitched on a mountain this weekend.
An update of this update:
I have pitched the Scarp in the garden this afternoon to check that all is ok. When the light is just right I can see very light brush strokes across the seams and along the pole arch. So the answer is yes, Tarptent do use invisible seam sealing techniques! I did notice however that there are tiny little holes at the corners of the ventilation loops on the roof, just where the stitching ends. I dabbed a bit of neat Silnet inside and outside the tent on those spots. Hopefully that will do the trick.