After one slightly drippy night in the Scarp1 where I was not sure if rain had come in through the vents or a leaky seam, I thought that I would test its waterproofness in the garden. I decided that I would pitch it during a rainy night or leave up whilst at work to see if any drippy spots appeared. I then thought better of it as I started having images of my nice new tent not being there in the morning / after returning from work. If some tea leaves have no qualms about nicking a buddha statue and a pop up plastic greenhouse out of our garden then my tent would be gone in a jiffy (ahh the joys of city life!).
Instead of worrying about its waterproofness on my next backpack I thought that I should go for the belt and braces approach to seam sealing. It has already been done once by Henry at Tarptent, although so fine you can only just about see it in a certain light. Seeing as today is warm and sunny I pitched the tent and did my best at re-sealing it this morning. I mixed up silnet with white spirit (about 50/50) until it was nice and runny and applied along both sides of the outer pole sleeve, paying extra attention to the crossing pole loop. I only went as far as the tops of the doors as I am only worried about drips on the inner. The stitching on the roof vents got a good soaking along with the inside of the crossing pole patches.
All in all, much easier than I thought it was going to be. It is drying in the sun and I have noticed that one side is nice and neat and the sealant is becoming almost invisible. The thin sealant ran a bit on the other side so there are a few thick patches. At the end of the day though any cock ups are only cosmetic and won’t affect the actual performance. Insects are sticking nicely to the sealant as well!
I now hope that my Scarp1 is waterproof as well as wind proof!